Thursday, November 12, 2009

To be successful

Im in Brisbane this week, at a work conference.

Today our keynote speaker was Phil Jauncey. He is a performance psychologist, with 4 degrees.

His presentation was obviously not intended for weight loss, but could so easily be applied to weight loss.

Check out the video his website (from 1:34 mins) (scroll to the bottom of the page)

Ok, here's my notes from today.

Success is not dependent on:
MOTIVATION
POSITIVE THINKING
GOOD ATTITUDE
GOOD FOCUS

Basically he was saying these things alone will not make you successful, and they are not excuses for not being successful. Eg: you wont lose weight by being motivated, instead you need to eat right and exercise (put simply), and vice versa, saying I cant lose weight because Im not motivated is not an excuse.

Alrighty, so now we have Phil's 6 steps to success.
Step 1: assess what am I doing now?
Step 2: is it working?
Step 3:
a) if it's working, dont change
b) it it's not working, change

If you need to change, follow steps 4 to 6

Step 4: be specific with your goals, be clear about what you want to achieve and be able to see it
Step 5: make a plan
Step 6: act on it

Pretty simple....

Last up, reasons why we fail:
1. you dont know WHAT to do
2. you dont know HOW to do it
3. you dont have the resources to do it (ABILITY)
4. you dont want to (CHOICE)

He also spoke about "positive doing" instead of "positive thinking".

He has a few books, which Im adding to my wishlist.

Hopefully that all made some sense.

A little example, if you dont FEEL like getting out of the bed in the morning to exercise, what do you do?? His response, get out of bed! JUST DO IT!!

5 comments:

I am Slimming said...

It's true you just have to do it.

If it was easy, we'd all be at goal.

xx

PS Day 7 for me, I feel great.

Kristy Burgess said...

I think the hard part is making the choice and following through with it. I guess dont wait till your feeling motivated, just start and the "good feelings" will come later.

Jocelyn said...

Thanks for posting this Kristy, it helped me to refocus and realise that all the positive thinking in the world burns absolutely zero calories.

I need to think less and do more.

Joc

Ali said...

Just do it!

I love it, simple yet effective.

Kate @ Loving Life said...

Makes PERFECT sense!!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com