Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Pre- Prepared meals

I've been living in the dark ages it seems.

I've just discovered the best section in the supermarket... the pre-prepared meal section

I'm not talking, frozen meals, or microwavable meals.

I'm talking whole meals in a packet, with all the ingrediants included, and all you have to do is cook it! (the lazy chef in me loves it!)

It's fantastic..
I love cooking.
But since I came over here to the Uk I've been pretty sparse recipie wise.

I'm one of those "eat it to death" kind of people, where I'll eat the same thing over and over agin, because I love it, and it's easy...

Stirfry is a common feature for dinner, not only is it quick an easy, but you can make a massive wok full that'll last you all week!
As is steamed veggies, they seem to cater for families where I shop, with massive bags of fresh mixed veggies, so I end up eating them day in and day out!

But this new find has broadened my horizons...

Here we have dinners for one or two, and relatively low in fat.

Chicken topped with backon and Cheddar
Roast lamb with thyme & rosemary, and roasted vegtables
Salmon in all sorts of flavours

The list is endless.

Before you judge, I should remind you that I have no fixed abode.

I'm literally living out of my backpack, and have been for the last 3 years..

Think of how excited you feel when you get home after a longish holiday, and get to unpack your things...

Then think what happens when you don't get to unpack them!

That'd be me..

Somedays I wish I had a "home", other days I just can't even think what that would be like.

I mostly stay in hospital accomodation, which can really go either way.

I've stayed in some hotel worthy places where you have your own bathrom.


But many are like staying in a hostel (only you get your own room), with mushroom infested showers (like where I am now)


(Makes you wonder what the kitchen is like, if there's mushrooms growing in the bathroom, doesn't it!? ;O)

Think of all the little things you need to start a kitchen from scratch.

Plates, cutley, frypans, woks, baking trays, spices, rice, flour, the staples most kitchens have already.

Every time I move, I have to start again.

I'll admit to being a food thief on occasion, stealing spices and such from the communal cupboard... cause what's the point of going and buying my own when all you want is a sprinkle (right!?!)

It's joyful...

Anyways I've been eating out my cupboard the last few weeks, trying to use up the last of things. (For the sole reason that I'm off back to Oz in 4 weeks, then moving somewhere completely different when I eventually find a job in Jan.)

So I need to be able to physically move what I own in one trip!

So having to go out an buy more essential items, for delicious looking recipies is just not happening at the moment..

I've been getting a little bored of late eating the same sorts of things.

One can only eat so much pasta people, before they themself turn into a sticky sprial shape!

With me now!?!

So now do you understand my delight at finding the Pre-Prepared meals at the supermarket!?!

Dinner in a box... you can't beat it!

2 comments:

Jaime S said...

:D enjoy your meals, wish we had something like that, I'm so over cooking.

I'll be living out of a backpack for the next 4-5 months so I'm about to feel sympathy for you any minute now.

Ali said...

I'm in the process of packing things up too, not as much as you guys but still so not fun...

You'll have a great time travelling!

 
design by suckmylolly.com